Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Catholic Media Promotion Day

In honor of Catholic Media Promotion Day, I am doing the challenge described: listing some Catholic favorites, specifically, 3 blogs, 3 podcasts, 3 other media, and three random Catholic things online.  You can check out lots more recommendations at the Facebook page for this great initiative.  I had fun with this, and I hope you do, too.  You can also share your favorites in the comments.

Three favorite blogs:

Conversion Diary.  I know this is a favorite I've mentioned before, but it is really one of my must-read blogs.  I was so delighted to get a chance to meet Jen Fulwiler when she spoke at the Behold Conference a few weeks back; she's exactly as real, smart, and funny as her terrific writing.

Hell Burns, the blog of Sister Helena Burns, a daughter of St. Paul and a media literacy guru.  She posts here pretty sporadically, but it is well worth keeping up with her very detailed, incisive and often funny movie reviews and other commentary.

Faith & Family Live is a frequent stop for me.  I actually get the daily emails, which is handy, because I can click through to whatever topic interests me.  It's generally geared for moms of kids, but great to read and get encouragement from.

Three favorite podcasts:

Word on Fire, the podcast of the Sunday reflection of Fr. Robert Barron.  I find his commentary on the Sunday scripture so helpful to listen to on a Saturday run.    It helps set up the weekend well.

EWTN's The Journey Home podcast is just the audio of the television program that features Marcus Grodi interviews converts and reverts to the faith.    Marcus Grodi is a great interviewer, and the interviews are varied and interesting.  Sometimes they are so compelling I remember them for years.  Well worth a listen.

Lisa Hendey's Catholic Moments.  I've listened to Lisa Hendey since well before she became a Catholic household name, back when her podcast was fairly new.  Lisa is always encouraging, informative and uplifting.  Even if I don't have time to listen to all the contributors on her podcast, I make a point to listen to  her interviews with Catholic leaders.  I've learned a lot from her about so much Catholic and New Media.

Three other media:

I'm going to choose Apps for this, as I like to spotlight them from time to time:

Universalis, the Liturgy of the Hours online, on iPhone and many other platforms.  My most-used App, worth every penny and more of the $24.99 price.

Rosary Guide is a helpful tool to stay on track with the Rosary. I also have the Divine Mercy Guide by the same developer, but I don't see it currently available on the App Store. 

For Lent, I recommend Ave Maria Press' Stations of the Cross App that is based on the Amy Welborn/Michael Dubruiel book John Paul II's Biblical Way of the Cross, with icon-like artwork by Michael O'Brien.

Three random Catholic things online.  I'm picking things here that are a little offbeat :

Betty Duffy is random and Catholic and just a great read, time after time.  Lots to reflect on.

I have to sit down, Simcha Fisher's blog, is thought-provoking, laugh-out-loud funny and Catholic.  Another great writer.

LOL Saints.  I'm kidding when I say I'm not sure if this is a good idea during Lent.  But just to be safe, you might want to wait until Sunday to check out this site.

My own project:  

Well, it's right here, the Catholic Post Book Group!  I've really enjoyed writing this blog for nearly a year now, as well as my monthly column for the print Catholic Post.  I am learning so much about hope to continue sharing as 

No comments:

Post a Comment