Thursday, June 23, 2011

"Dion: The Wanderer Talks Truth" Reads Like a Great Song

My print Catholic Post column is constrained by space (unlike a blog!), which means I'm always hacking away at the many, many words I manage to write about the various books I review.

This month, I've decided to take some of that extra writing to share some longer reviews of a couple of the new titles I reviewed, to share more about what I love about the books.  Here's a little more about why I enjoyed Dion: The Wanderer Talks Truth by Dion DiMucci with Mike Aquilina.

----------

I’m too young to have followed or known of famous rocker Dion in his original “Wanderer” and “Runaround Sue” days, but he’s a “rock star” to those who love and know his music from the earliest days of rock’n’roll.

Dion:  The Wanderer Talks Truth is Dion’s spiritual autobiography, a fun book with surprising spiritual depth and gems scattered throughout the war stories of  rock’searly days and Dion’s transformation from rocker addict to faithful Catholic apologist, singer throughout.  Dion seems genuinely a seeker, honest about his shortcomings, and always pursuing the truth, and darn it, just very Italian (I feel confident about accusing him of this as I, too, am Italian, and I’m also married to one). 

My favorite part of Dion are the “quotable” short quotes that are great Catholic zingers, for lack of a better word. Yes, they are fun and memorable and truly Catholic, but would also make a great song lyric.

The more I changed, the more I became myself.

Humility is truth.

Relationships don’t end.

Love is a school of sacrifice.

The older I get, the more I’m knocked out by the glory of the truth.

Just like a great song, Dion:  The Wanderer Talks Truth is a great, fun read for these summer months, that also offers room for inspiration and deeper reflection.  Just like a great song.

No comments:

Post a Comment