Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Grace Before Meals: Your Favorite Cookbook, Food Magazine, Blog or Recipe Website?

Care to share your favorite website, cooking magazine, blog or cookbook to help you cook at home?

I tend to "google" a recipe if I'm looking for, say, a recipe for something in particular, like soba noodles in peanut sauce.

But the sites I tend to trust for accurate, turns out most of the time, recipes is Epicurious.   I enjoy getting recipes off of various people's blogs, but I find the recipes frequently don't come out as good as the photo!

Cookbooks?  I have two versions of the Joy of Cooking, one my mom got me when I lived in my first apartment in the 1980s.  When a new edition came out in 1997, she gave me that one as well; for some reason, even though I purge cookbooks from time to time, I still keep them both on the shelf.    They are both such a wealth of information about all kinds of cooking and food, and a good base to learn about basic techniques and cooking methods.  Armed with the information

I love cooking magazines, and I used to have a tradition a friend recommended of subscribing to one cooking magazine per year and then rotating; so I did "Cooking Light" one year, Cook's Illustrated the next, and so on.  But though I love to page through them, I found that they piled up alarmingly, so  I don't subscribe to any at the moment.   The one cooking magazine I did frequently try recipes from was Cook's Illustrated, and they tended to be pretty great recipes.

What are your favorites?

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Cooks Illustrated for the recipes and the science behind the cooking, but I too let my magazine subs. run out. The two websites that I use the most are myrecipes.com (compiles recipes from Cooking Light, Health and Real Simple mag. among others and, imho, includes great comments w/the ratings, suggestions for "tweaking" the recipes, etc.), and the blog crockpot365.blogspot.com. There is a cookbook that compiles the (gluten-free!) recipes from her blog into one book: Make It Fast, Cook It Slow. I also really enjoy the recipes from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i must tell you, my favorite resource is still my mom.

    "Mom? How long do you cook a roast?"
    "Why are your cut-out Christmas cookies better?"

    I think of my mother every single time i cook something. I hope that I always will. :)

    ReplyDelete