Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Worth a Listen: 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redman (The Unashamed Version)

(Sharing great songs that are inspiring, uplifting and/or are otherwise "worth a listen")

I often catch up on blogs on our first generation iPad after reading to the kids at night.  The only downside is that it makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to leave a comment.  This is fine because I am often just doing a quick check-in, but frustrating when I do want to comment.

Recently, on a post I can't now locate on Dorian Speed's blog (yes, that's her real name!), various commenters, mostly fellow Catholic bloggers, admitting (some in a sheepish way) that they can't abide Christian music.  This isn't the first time I've seen this sheepishness, and it just makes me laugh.  A large portion of people have this consensus that Christian music makes them bleed from the ears.

When I read these kind of comments or see those kinds of posts, I think, I am just not cool enough for school.

You see, just started here on the blog in the last few weeks "Worth a Listen" to specifically feature Christian and Catholic artists, songs that our family loves.

And so I wanted to comment, (perhaps in a whisper,) um, hey, some people really, truly, like Christian music, and find it helpful in their faith and family life.  But I also feel a wee bit embarrassed because so many people have such an aversion to it.

Then I thought, you know what?  I'm letting my freak flag fly.  Not ashamed anymore.

I'm a sold-out, singing-along-with, iTunes library full-of, Christian music fan.  I was CCM (that's contemporary Christian music) before CCM was even considered nerdy.  I'm a total, 100 percent, Christian music geek here, and proud of it.

I'm sure I will be writing a lot more about my love of CCM in coming weeks and how it can co-exist with an intelligent, robust Catholic faith life.

For this week, I decided to feature a very popular song right now on Christian radio, Matt Redman's "10,000 Reasons."  Here's what I love best about it:  when it comes on in the minivan, hearing my kids sing along (and one, who shall remain nameless, sing in a fake Australian accent): "Bless the Lord, oh my soul."





1 comment:

  1. I am going to join you in "let[ting] my freak flag fly" and say: I'm also a "sold-out, singing-along-with, iTunes library full-of, Christian music fan." I listen to Christian music while cleaning house (somehow sweeping becomes much less annoying when you can sing along to uplifting Christian music), job-hunting, and in moments of stress. Thanks for sharing the song! I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on "how [CCM] can co-exist with an intelligent, robust Catholic faith life." Thanks!

    ReplyDelete